One of the most common Netgear WiFiextender features is that it reveals the network SSID name to every user. This is mandatory because network SSID name is necessary to establish communication setup between WiFi extender – router and extender – user. You might want to hideit as you don’t want to show your device IP address to public. This helps you to keep IP address-based ads and promotions away.
Thanks to Netgear WiFi extender that provides an easy way to protect your network SSID name. Go-through the post to learn deep how to hide and unhide network SSID of WiFi range extender.
But before we dig deep into it, let’s have an idea about what is network SSID and what does it used for?
What is Netgear WiFi Extender SSID Name?
Service Set Identifier, aka, SSID helps a user to identify your WiFi network. You can see your Netgear WiFi extender’s default SSID after powering it up. During Netgear extender setup, you can change it as per your own requirements.
You can hide your Netgear extender’s network SSID to secure it from other users who want to connect with your home WiFi network. According to security point of view, it’s a good thing. If you wan to unhide it, then you need to visit mywifiext net login web page.
Steps to Hide Network SSID of Netgear Extender
Before starting the process, ensure the connection between your desktop or laptop and WiFi extender is proper, whether you are using a wireless or wired connection. Now, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Connect your WiFi extender to router.
- Now, turn on your computer and run any web browser.
- Visit mywifiext net login web page.
- Enter the default Netgear extender login credentials.
- Hit on the ‘Log In’ button.
- Select Wireless settings
- Uncheck the network SSID name
- Hit on the ‘Save’ button
Your WiFi range extender reboots automatically and the new changes will apply. Your network SSID will no longer be visible.
How to Unhide Network SSID of Netgear WiFi Range Extender?
If you really want to make it visible, visit Netgear WiFi extender setup web page again. After that consider the below-mentioned steps:
- Check whether your desktop or laptop and WiFi range extender are connected properly.
- Run any web browser and visit 192.168.1.250 IP address.
- Hit on the ‘Wireless Settings’ in the setup option.
- Now, check mark the network SSID option.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button to apply the final changes.
That’s it! Your network SSID is visible now like other’s network SSID name.
What to Do If You Are Using Old Netgear Extender Firmware?
The following ways way to reveal the network SSID is for those users who are using an old Netgear WiFi extender.
- Head over your home WiFi network settings.
- Hit on the WiFi icon on your desktop or laptop.
- Click on the ‘Connect’ button.
- Provide your home network SSID name, and hit on the ‘Next’ button.
- Enter your WiFi security password, and then hit on the ‘Next’ button.
That’s it! You are done here with the method to hide and unhide the network SSID name of your WiFi range extender. If you still have any queries, then get in touch with our experts anytime through comments section.