You will notice a significant change in the approach and control in cement supplies. This change is, however, the result of the lower demands in the Supplementary Cementitious Materials supplies. The SCMs such as slags and fly ash is essentially used in cement blends. This methodology helps in reducing the clinker factor and at the same time its ass to the beneficial properties in the cement to add to the strength of the eventual concrete product.
The companies that source, markets and sells minerals and raw materials and intermediate or finished products to several different types, now have made a change in their business approach. The current trend suggests that there will be more significant changes coming up in the SCM markets in the future. Whether this will affect the market negatively is a matter on which debates are ongoing but it will surely affect it as well as the cement supplies.
The Main Trends
As per the experts, the most significant change in the trend is seen in the use of the Granulated Blast Furnace Slag or GBFS recently. There are two major trends seen in it as well.
- Firstly, there has been a visible increase in the use of GBFS in a few regions and
- Secondly, there has been an alteration noticed in the emphasis on why manufacturers are adding this GBFS to their products.
Well, it was considered in the past that it was simply due to fact that this GBFS was supposed to be the cheapest type of clinker extender. The efforts then to promote the benefits of using GBFS were much more sporadic and never sustained in its true sense. However, in recent times, along with that fact, the environmental concerns and benefits are also considered. Apart from that, the positive effect on the level of performance of the final concrete surface and cement supplies is also a point of concern.
The Reign of Control
With the upcoming changes and examples of sporadic behavior in the past, it is important that cement trade is controlled firmly not only to ensure steady cement supplies but also for the quality of the product.
- Global cement and clinker trade is usually controlled by all the owners of the cement plants that export and distribute it.
- It is also controlled and even more so by the owners of the grinding facilities or the bulk cement receiving terminals.
- The ICR Handbook on Global Cement Trade and Distribution also provides a few guidelines and key statistics to have an insight into cement supplies control and ownership along with a detailed focus on the merger of different specific cement companies.
- The trade and distribution of seaborne cement is an important part in this industry which is not limited to the volume of cement supplies or the price of it. It is an important tool that helps the cement companies to run profitably. This tool helps to level out the cement shortage in one area with the excess production in another.
Ideally, cement trade and distribution is not like any other simple open market. Any cement plant set up by the waterside and having excellent ship loading capabilities may not be the best exporters or distributors with a strong and widely spread trading network as well as robust receiving destinations. It will not be able to ship anything.
You are recommended to get cement supplies for your building construction because cement is a very affordable construction material, therefore, cement breaks are used by homeowners for construction of their homes.